Adventures at Rufford Abbey


Just a hop, skip and a jump down the road from where we currently live is Rufford Abbey park and gardens, a former Cistercian abbey. Built in the twelfth century, the abbey was home to what were called the "white monks", designated that because of their undyed wool robes.

The Suppression of the Monasteries by King Henry the VIII in the sixteenth century saw the abbey sold to George Talbot, 4th Earl of Shrewsbury. The abbey and grounds stayed within the Talbot family until the 1900's where the 3rd Baron Savile, then a minor, inherited the grounds. Unfortunately the trustees overruled his decisions and split the land in to sections, selling them off one by one. 

Today the abbey is under the Nottinghamshire County Council's jurisdiction and currently sees thousands of visitor's every year. 

Below you'll find two distinct batches of photos from two very different times. One from early January (the first bunch) and the others from late February (everything after the lake photo). 
The first bunch were with a local photography group and the second when I shot my Sister in Law. Don't worry, she's still alive and kickin'.

This building is just outside the abbey grounds across the street and adjacent to the bus stop.

The impressive barrier around the grounds.

This blooming daffodil had no idea it was still in the midst of winter.

To the benefit of the park, entrance is free and only those using the car park must pay a fee.






I'll have you know that the Peppa Pig key ring was already there.







This little robin was kind enough to stay still for a moment.



According to the literature this seating arrangement was inspired by local Girl Guides.




Fungi!

I love this photo. I feel like he's just about ready to step off and wreak havoc.


My ladybug friend in which I spent nearly 15 minutes attempting to shoot.

Personally I'd love if these were Whomping Willows.

Life through the willow trees.

The last of my little Nikon pictures. I loved the "Winter" colours over the lake.


































That's the huge downside to using my Canon, the "focus" is misaligned. 

I love seeing snow drops right before Spring begins.


Didn't catch what this beauty was.

Gorgeous little American Kestrel.

A very timid barn owl.

This shot is exactly the same as the first picture only using a different camera. This one was taken with my trusty (and very old) Canon camera and I still love how the colours come out in certain lighting.

























Well that's it for now. I've honestly no idea where our next destination is or when it will be but here's hoping it's somewhere I've not yet been before!

Until next time, Happy International Women's Day!